Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Home Brew

Last night Matt and I bottled his second batch of homebrew. He is using the Mr. Beer Starter kit (aka Fisher Price My First Brewery) that he got as a gift this Christmas. He started this batch a few weeks ago I think. It's called "Canadian" something and tastes kind of wheaty. Ok, I know nothing about it but it was fun to go through the process. We started by sanitizing the bottles using a rinseless sanitizer. You pour a bit in all the bottles and on the caps and it kills some bad bacteria but leaves some good bacteria. While we waited for the sanitizer to do its thing we sampled the uncarbonated beer. It smelled very sweet but tasted blah, it was the definition of flat.

Once we emptied the bottles of the sanitizer (we don't have to rinse) we put a measured amount of sugar into each bottle to give us the carbonation we desire. Then we began to fill them from 'the Keg.' Matt handled this and then passed them on to me and I popped a cap on dey ass. Then I placed an identifying sticker on the tops of the bottles. Now they sit in a box and ripen and then they get drunk.

No comments:

Post a Comment