Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Bean Town Brews

Quiz time: Where do the Beer Advocate "Bros" from?
Answer: Boston

Quiz Time: Where did the Lovehardsteins go last weekend?
Answer: Boston

Coincidence? You betcha.

As you might have guessed, I tried to take advantage of Boston's unique beer landscape. Thus, I hit up two of the best Boston beer bars. (Let me just say from the outset that my gold standard for bars is the Brick Store Pub - and not just because it is a couple blocks from my house.)

Night one: The Publick House - Brookline, MA
Ambiance: Eh...felt a little dingy and not in a cool dive-ish way
Beer: Solid. I tasted several, but only remember two - the Green Flash West Coast IPA was a great citrusy, crisp experience. I wasn't the biggest fan of the Angel's Share Brandy Barrel Aged Strong Ale. I might have been affected by companions' wrinkled noses and opinions (e.g. "tastes like robitussin!"), but it was too sticky, syrupy and sweet for me. Perhaps I should have tried it on its own rather than while moving back and forth with the Green Flash IPA.

Night two: Deep Ellum Bar - Allston, MA
Ambiance: Decent...liked the big open windows at the front of the place. Didn't really understand the texas longhorn skull over the bar, but whatevs.
Beer: Dope. My favorite was Port Brewing's (CA) Old Viscosity (what a cool name!). A rich full bodied experience that lingered on tongue for ages. Whew. I think I also had Port Brewing's Wipe Out IPA. It wasn't as memorable (obviously) - but I definitely enjoyed it.

I couldn't resist picking up a couple of beers at the store that we don't have down here in the dirty dirty. I sampled Mass' own Berkshire Brewing Company's Traditional Pale Ale, which kinda took me by surprise - but not necessarily in a bad way. It had a much bigger mouthfeel and "funky," sweet flavor than I am used to with Pale Ales. I think I'd like it more the second time around. I also picked up a bomber of Moyland's Brewery (CA) Moylander Double IPA, which, despite the ridiculously garish label was totally tasty. Not the most "balanced" beer - but hey, sometimes you just wanna get hoppy, right!? A puckerer for sure.

And that was Boston. Oh, and I helped my friend make vegan chocolate stout cupcakes which were delicious.


2 comments:

  1. nice post. thanks for the report - I especially look forward to trying old viscosity. So were either of those bars superior to your 'gold standard'?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No...they were not, but they were quite good!

    ReplyDelete