Friday, May 8, 2009

Best Bar in the World?


In light of Ben and Katie's trip to Boston, I found this interesting: RateBeer has put out its 2009 ratings of the best bars, brewpubs, stores selling beer and restaurants serving beer in the world (as well as best beers in the world). (About the bars: what a weird concept, because how many people have even been to a handful of these? But I digress). They have the Brick Store Pub listed at #5, which is like saying they are B-team in comparison to BeerAdvocate's 2008 ranking, where the BSP was #2 (BA's 2009 list is forthcoming). What's worse is that the two American bars ahead of BSP are in Florida. I just mean, they probably love EPCOT.

So what do you all think of the rankings? Has anybody been to any others on the list? Ben just blogged about the Publick House. As for me, I'm ashamed to say I haven't made it to another on the list. Are they as good as they say? And I love the Brick Store, but is there anyone out there who thinks it's overrated? 

And now, for something completely different, beer haiku. My favorite:

My paddleboat’s speed
Is about two miles per hour.
Or two beers per mile.


3 comments:

  1. interesting -
    i've actually been to #32, #33, and #34 (publick house, birreria paradiso - DC, the map room - chicago). And Katy's been to Hop Leaf (#44) in chicago and loved it. I think Christa's going this weekend. The map room is great - but when I was there I saw this woman throw up on the floor, which kinda soured the experience. People need to learn about high gravity...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been to all the ones Ben mentions above. Hop Leaf is great because it's a true gastropub and quite delicious food. Map Room is nice too but atmosphere is a bit dingier--reason why is what Ben says about the vomit. I guess I have nothing to add that Ben hasn't said.

    And from the UK, let me just say it's no surprise that no UK place made that list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS the haiku is awesome but I worried about what kind of beer is being consumed at 2 miles an hour...sounds like a bad watery one!

    ReplyDelete