Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Innis & Gunn: Love at First Sip

My recent side trip to London yielded my first positive beer drinking experience. Another local pub—this time only with one brand of beer on tap. My luck though, Samuel Smith! I skipped the Alpine lager and English Bitter, and went straight for the Extra Stout. Smooth and delicious (the quintessential “soy sauce beer”), a real treat and perfect as a half pint to accompany a great conversation with long-time family friends.

Come Sunday I was able to check out yet another pub, this time with cousins-in-law in Notting Hill (no Hugh Grant though). Believe it or not, no English beers on tap. Still, I held onto a glimmer of hope: a bottle that sounded tempting in the fridge and apparently even (sort of) local. Gimme that one!

A ha! The beer was poured a rich amber color. The taste was divine and truly love at first sip. This beer was something truly unique: a Scottish oak-aged beer called Innis & Gunn. Frankly, I’m not surprised it reads “Supreme Champion 2004—International Competition” on the bottle (though it’s not quite clear which international competition they are referencing). Perrine, my cousin-in-law’s wife, quite liked the beer, but her husband Jeffrey made a sour face and said it tasted like a chardonnay. I disagreed, and dare say it’s the first English beer I’ve had with real character.

Nice one, Brits!

3 comments:

  1. i do believe that we tasted that innis & gunn at our second beer club event chez frank. it was among the first barrel aged beers i'd tasted - and i remember there being a very robust conversation about it. some loved it, others had a reaction similar to that of Jeffery's.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katy, I am glad the London expbeerience was better. So, we need to take some ambiance and community tips from the British when it comes to beer, but we just need to make the beer ourselves?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ajay was telling me about how good this beer is. They have it at Bookhouse.

    ReplyDelete