Monday, November 23, 2009

Brooklyn: A Beer Maven in a Beer Haven

New York, New York...Frank Sinatra sings in the background.

Not sure Sinatra knew much about beer, but I'll tell you what, Brooklyn is where it's at for beer lovers! Although surely all beeroughs (get it? Burroughs?) have excellent beer options, BK knocked my socks off.

Started out on Friday night with my friends Ateesh & Jeremy at Lucali, quite possible the best pizza I had had on this earth, and a jaunt to Brooklyn Social (a neat bar in the style of a speakeasy). Where I ordered nary a beer, but rather a fancy ole cocktail with some well cut ice. After being simply shellshocked by the quality of food and drink Shideh and Ateesh at High Dive. Yes, it sounds lame. But it is on the contrary! Because there I got one of my favorites (not to be found in Atlanta): Bear Republic Race 5 IPA. A delightful experience with wonderful friends, I left totally satiated.

And all around Park Slope I saw cute bars with great beers on tap--4th St Pub, Pacific something something, I was amazed.

Saturday afternoon my friend Jenny and I found BierKraft after stopping in Nunu Chocolates for what was definitely the best chocolate I have ever had in my life. When I say found, I mean we were trying to get there all along, because I had heard rave reviews about this specialty cheese, chocolate and beer place. They have 22 or so beers on tap, and I got a pint of the delicious Blue Piont Brewing Co. Hoptical Illusion on cask (in these genius homemade casks!--see left). Yum yum. From Long Island. Then some boutique window shopping and a few hours later, it was dinner time again.

Justine and I then headed out to an amazing bar on her corner called Washington Commons where I got the delicious, delicious Otter Creek Imperial IPA. So perfect! And later a Cape Ann Fisherman's IPA- more normal but still good.

But it's not all Shangri-la in Brooklyn--our beloved Avery Maharaja that sells for about $7 or $8 in ATL was on sale for $14! Wow.

All weekend and I didn't even drink a Brooklyn Brewery Beer! Suffice to say: I found my gift for our Beer Club Secret Santa in BK!!

No comments:

Post a Comment