Friday, January 29, 2010

RateBeer Best of 2009


Though they call it "Best 2010", it seems better to think of this as a Best of 2009 list. I don't really get how they think they know the future, or whatever, but RateBeer's best of the year is now online.

Best Beers in the World: Imperial Stouts again dominate. How will ours stack up? Also, best beers by style. Founder's porter is the 5th best porter in the world? Wouldn't have guessed. Also, I feel vindicated that the best porter in the world was that one Matt Vivian brought to beer club last spring that I liked a lot (but it was a solid thumbs-sideways all around. Maybe we don't like porters as a group?)

Best Beer Stores in the World: Bruisin Ales is third, and Hop City is 23rd! Also, the Five Points Bottle Shop in Athens is 24th. I bet that stings when you lose out to a local newcomer by one point in a worldwide competition.

Viva Decatur: BrickStore gets #6 in the world for bars; not bad. The best in the world is Ma Che Siete Venuti a Fa, which across the street from Bir & Fud - which I happened to blog about a couple of weeks ago. So, if you want to read about the bar across the street from the best bar in the world, check it out. (I thought they were like Leon's and Brickstore, actually - same owners - but to tell you the truth we went to Bir & Fud because it looked better). And check out the top 50 US beers - we need to get out hands on some AleSmith, Cigar City and more Three Floyds. WHere does your favorite beer rank?

3 comments:

  1. Very interesting. I always think these lists are bizarre, because let's be honest, does anywhere on earth beat BSP? Trapeze at #11 is a lil' questionable. Sure, it's the same style as BSP but not got the same spirit. The crass of the bartenders is less lovable there, and even though the atmosphere is clearly warm it never feels homey. I think Thirsty Monk is more of a genuine place and should be rated higher. They have great beer, maybe just a little less selection than Trapeze. Map room at #48 is well deserved. It is a cool idea with great beer but can start to feel a little dingy as the night wears on (yes, someone puked on my feet there once). All the other places? I'd like to try em.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best bar in America is in Orlando? Really? Who knew?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I know. Orlando? I doubt it...

    ReplyDelete