Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Brick Store 10 Year Anniversary

Ironically, the Brick Store celebrates its ten year anniversary today (and all the next two weeks)...as do Ben and I--today!

But...sadly, Ben is really really busy and isn't available to celebrate much, so I grabbed Frank (of former Beer Club fame) and we jotted down to the BSP to enjoy the special keg of Founder's Old Curmudgeon Ale. Totally, totally insanely delicious, and so different. I won't go into much more, the professional reviews are so much better than mine. BeerAdvocate gives it a B+, but which I'd say is wrong. Definitely an A- in my mind/mouth! Rate beer gives it a 97 (of 100) and I'd say that's a bit high, but pretty good!

I was lucky too to get a history of the BSP I didn't know from Frank. The owners started out at the Mellow Mushroom in Athens, and modeled their BSP on the Globe in Athens. Coo!

Back to the beer...

Here's a brief pitch from the brewers themselves:
This Old Ale conjures up thoughts of classic sea fairing ports, there local pubs and the weathered fisherman that frequent them. In traditional style Curmudgeon is brewed with an intense focus on the malt bill creating a very strong, rich, malty characteristic and a sweetness indicative of its cousin the barleywine. We are especially proud of the balance in this beer making it deceptively smooth and drinkable at 9.8% alcohol by volume.
Editor’s Note - The 2006 bottled version has been aged in bourbon barrels.


Loved it!

3 comments:

  1. I intend to go back for their special tapping (now til next Saturday, when they tap one keg every hour!!) as much as possible. Really cool. Let me know if you can go Mon-Thurs next week. I'm definitely in on the 24th for the Avery Maharaja firkin!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. don't miss cigar city or ballast point. you won't see anything from those stellar breweries for a good long while.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's 12 years for BSP. Also, congratulations.

    ReplyDelete