Sunday, July 12, 2009

Traveling-while-traveling review


Though I am stationed for the summer in Washington D.C., this weekend I took a trip to New Jersey to visit a few friends and use one of their amazing libraries for a few hours. While there, I tried a couple of beers I haven't been able to find in Atlanta or D.C. - among them, a couple of beers from Hoppin' Frog Brewery in Akron, Ohio (also home of the Black Keys). My friends and I tried their Double IPA and Imperial Stout, both of which I give a thumbs-up. The stout (awesomely called "BORIS the Crusher") was billed as an oatmeal stout, but wasn't short on the sweet chocolate and coffee, while the double IPA had a very non-cascade hoppy front (we need to get some of those single-hop brews so I can nail down what it tasted like, but here goes: a super-bitter, slightly citrus but non-piney hop - maybe amarillo?). Also tried the Mikkeler Beer Geek Breakfast Stout, which was really delicious but available in GA (and, for my money, not as good as the BORIS - and at twice the cost). Seriously, if you see some Hoppin' Frog out there, try it out. Especially the Imperial Stout...

No comments:

Post a Comment