Saturday, October 31, 2009

One last BrewHaHa in Maltimore / Brewtimore / Baltimalt

Returning to Baltimore I wanted one last TASTE-a-roo of the Baltimore beer scene. I tried to get my team plus one humanitarian dude slash navy seal to go to WharfRat (yes, a horrible sounding name, but a place that came highly recommended by BeerAdvocate). But alas, it was closed.

But this beergirl does not easily dissuaded become! A dinner at a a very new & nice (but kinda just decent, I now think in retrospect) PanAsian (mostly Thai) place whose name I can't remember ensued. But that is not important. And is neither here nor there.

Let's cut to the chase: MAX'S in Baltimore is the Bomb. And that, my friends, is simply that. The vibe is...a rowdy college sports bar. Totally clashing with the laidback pub style of the BrickStore, this place did not inspire. But good thing we stuck around...

OH MY GOD! Beer fans, delight and rejoice, check out the beer list: http://www.maxs.com/beerlist.php (though this was most definitely not what we had). I have never seen the 120 minute on tap, plus pangea, theobroma, Sah'tea, and many more. Avery Grand Cru (14%?) on tap? Oh mama! I did not indulge.

I got the Boulder Oblivion or Obilon or something that I can't be bothered to look up. I also had the ... OH BUGGER as my English compatriots would say, I simply can't remember! I guess the point is, Max's is the best place to check out PLUS Brewer's Art of course. But Max's has MUCH Better beer and MUCH worse atmosphere.

1 comment:

  1. Katy, while I agree fully with your assessment of Max's beer selection, I have argue your write-off of the atmosphere. Why? Because one time I found a pirate there.

    http://twitpic.com/nr80o

    I rest my case.

    ReplyDelete