Wednesday, November 4, 2009

How 'bout that Cusqueña?


I feel an obligation to do a post about Peruvian beer situation. First of all, you know, they do a lot of chicha here--but I have yet to experience the alcoholic version, I have only consumed a fruit style version which was delicious. HOWEVER, lucky for this readership (??), I have had Peruvian Cusqueña beer, skipping the lager and going straight to Cusqueña Negra (BA describes it as "Premium Dark Beer").

Well it gets a "C" rating, which is maybe even a little generous. Since I think it is pretty nasty (and very very malty and sweet), I'll be on a beer respite for the few weeks I am here.

Here are some of the comments people give it "Unfortunately, the head fades quickly." "Smells like beer, kind of a chemical smell with a little lemon." "This thing is far too sugary to be appetizing, with sickly-rich notes of high fructose corn syrup and a hint of dark roasted barley" and I have to agree. This is a pretty rotten beer.

But hey, we don't come to Cusco and Peru to drink beer do we? There's a reason why Pisco Sours are much more famous than Cusqueña beer. As they say in Costa Rica, "Huacala!!" (as in "Nasty!")!

1 comment:

  1. "smells like beer..." hopefully, it would. sounds nasty; sorry you'll be looking for imports there...

    ReplyDelete