Sunday, December 6, 2009

Montreal - Biere!!!!!!!!!

I went to Montreal. I don't speak french. But, I speak beer, so I figured I'd be ok. I was right.

First, let me say that I was a bit skeptical of Canadian beer. A few years ago we Lovehardsteins went to British Columbia and Seattle and found the stateside beer far superior. But, I had heard and read good things about Montreal beer scene so I went through customs (slowly) with an open palette. Good thing.

The beer in Montreal is off the hops!

I was there for two nights - and Basserie Dieu Du Ciel got my patronage both nights. I knew this brewery was well-respected, but it wasn't until I put their Peche Mortel Imperial Stout (au Cafe) to my lips that I understood. This beer was big, bold, and balanced. Just about perfect - especially with the chill Canadian autumn weather nipping at me. I have this thing when I drink an amazing beer where I'll sip, and then remove the glass from my lips and just kinda stare at the glass in awe. And I did that twice before I could even say anything about this one. My buddy got the Chaman Imperial IPA - risky business when you aren't in the US - land of big IPAs, but it too was excellent!

Upon returning home (with a couple Peche Mortel's in my bag) I learned that this beer gets Beer Advocate's #19 best beer in the world, making it the highest rated beer I've ever tasted. I also saw that I can get it here in the Dirty South - albeit at twice the price.

The other great exbeerience was a midday flight of beers at Le Saint Bock (and here). I remember the baltic porter being particularly good, as well as a Saison, but all five were solid and a couple were their own.

On the culinary side, I ate Poutine = french fries, cheese curds, and gravy) at 3:30am. Not good.

No comments:

Post a Comment